Thursday, May 25, 2006 | On this day:

Illustrator Summer Workshop - Review

Planned Statistics


Date - 22 May 2006
Time - 8:30 A.M.
Venue - Intel Lab, Ramjas School, R.K.Puram




Approximately 45 minutes after the scheduled time, the workshop started with initially 12 people(2 joined in later). Many factors contributed to the delay
- Late personalities
- Projector
- Computers

There was some deviation from the "planned thought" as the software wasn't installed on any machine except one, and therefore, there was no way by which the students could apply, then and there, what they've learnt. Although Uma, the teacher out there, was ready to stay back and supervise after the class, if someone wanted to try their hands on Illustrator.

Anyway, the workshop wasn't solely about Illustrator but on vector graphics in general. The first half an hour was devoted to explain the pros & cons(mostly pros) of the graphics represented in co-ordinates as compared to graphics represented in pixels. After that came the technicalities of Illustrator, about which I must say, Uma had fared pretty well, much better than what I was expecting. I think she can take up few more 'shop's like these in the future. The proceedings were followed by a 10-minute break which extended to more than 30 minutes. And then came the last half hour in which the 'shop was winded up. Refreshment(a bottle of slice), was served in between.

Few things that need a mention are :-
-> Uma's methodility to teach(which as I said earlier, was excellent)
-> Prashanth's abily to grasp things and ask doubts
-> Somsubhro's ability to disturb :-)

X-----X


The macroscopic events after the workshop were :-
* Discussion regarding the ventures of Dynamix in the present academic year(about which I'll write later).
* An in-Formal chat with Principal ma'am & Pandey Sir.

Final Verdict - A nice venture to start with. I'll award the workshop an 8/10.

Regards
(Siddharth Razdan)

2 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, May 25, 2006, Blogger Uma Damle said...

Thanks for that review.I thought I'd wait for a few days for somebody to do the review before I give up and do it myself.
The reason why I could not have a practical in between the 'shop was that the version of Illustrator(v12.0)I was working with could only be installed on 2 computers that had XP of which one crashed just as I began the workshop cause it could not detect the NT Loader.I tried to install version 10 on the 98 computer but since I brought the installer in a pen drive and the drivers of the pen drive were not installed there I could not do so either.There could not be any simultaneous practice due to these reasons.
I think I should confess that I made a mistake in what I taught.I said that a closed object could not be opened which was wrong.A closed object can be opened and vice versa.I said in the contrary because I could not open a closed object there which had me wondering and I realised my mistake when I tried the same thing at home.I can give a ridiculous yet true explanation for this.My hands were shaking ,I wasn't clicking on the anchor point but the path itself with the scissor tool hence it kept telling me that what I was trying to do was not possible :-/ I apologise for that mistake.
On a retrospect I realised there was a lot more I should have taught.Compound paths,Pathfinder pallete are extremely
important things that I could have covered.But I think what all I told was more than most of the people could have digested without a practical.As for the 30 min break that was my fault.I shouldn't have entered into an argument
over free and propriety software with Roshan.
I thank all those who came and took the trouble of staying awake through the workshop.I think I have a lot to learn
when it comes to holding workshops and teaching people.I'd like everybody who attended the workshop to give me an honest opinion about it.I am not fishing for compliments here.I need fair criticism to improve myself.

 
At 9:24 PM, May 25, 2006, Blogger Siddharth Razdan said...

Who tampered with this post of mine?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home