Thursday, April 20, 2006 | On this day:

The View from the Bottom

Paul Thurrott, of WinSuperSite fame, confirms what many of us have realised for some time: Microsoft has let down its fans with Windows Vista.

This is especially surprising coming from Mr. Thurrott, if you've followed his past writings. Reading his review, I have lost whatever little interest I had in Vista née Longhorn. Despite Microsoft's marketing, they'll find it difficult to exceed Windows XP, which in turn built upon the venerable Windows 2000. After Windows 98 and (the horror!) ME, Win2k came as a breath of fresh air.

However Microsoft's marketing team is good at, shall I say, elevating hype above the bounds of dreary reality; I shall not be surprised if Vista becomes a roaring success.

P.S. Think again if you're thinking of pirating Windows Vista (not necessarily a bad thing, eh landlubber?) to try its oh-so-beeyootiful (!?!?) Aero-Glass interface.

3 Comments:

At 1:22 AM, April 21, 2006, Blogger Shashank Shekhar said...

MS had lost all its Vista credibility when it dropped the new File System, which appeared to be the only *ahem* innovation since XP. The virtual folders thing is really dated. This is nothing more than a new Window Blinds skin for WinXP. And a fancy new sidebar.

 
At 10:47 AM, April 21, 2006, Blogger Uma Damle said...

I am never going to have any of the Vista nonsense in my computer.I have been using Win 2000 for years now and will
continue to do so.MS is trying to seduce people with empty security promises and some trinkets like the Alt + Tab 3D
view and good looks.
PS:Roshan ,I was wondering what possesed you to post in this blog ;-). I have hardly ever seen you in here.

 
At 2:10 PM, April 21, 2006, Blogger Roshan Shariff said...

If you notice the time that post was made, it might provide some clue about what possessed me to write it :-) I was just getting rather depressed about DRM, software patents, treacherous computing (aka "trusted computing"), a whole bunch of stupid lawsuits, and the antics of Microsoft and Intel, and various other generally depressing things. I was worried about the future of computing. Vista is virtually the embodiment of all this; reading Paul Thurrott's article was the last straw.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home